Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
Deadline: 30 April 2020
The Division of Byzantine Research (ABF) of the Institute for Medieval Research (IMAFO) at the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), Austria’s leading non-university research and science institution, is seeking applications for the position of a POST DOC in Byzantine Studies (part-time/20 hours per week).
The initial duration of the appointment is 12 months, beginning with 1 October 2020 at the earliest. The ABF is one of the premier research institutions in Byzantine Studies internationally, representing a wide range of scholarship in close dialogue with the other three Divisions of the Institute for Medieval Research, and with the Department of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies of the University of Vienna which has an extensive research library. The successful applicant will contribute to the research strand ‘Language, Text and Script’ through editorial and palaeographical work. Particularly welcome is a specialization in non-literary texts (e.g. legal texts).
– completed doctorate in Byzantine Studies or a related discipline (e.g. Classical Philology)
– demonstrated ability in Greek palaeography, editorial work, textual analysis of non-literary texts
– willingness to work in Vienna as part of a team and to contribute to the scholarly profile of the Division of Byzantine Research
– for non-German speakers: willingness to acquire proficiency in German (B1 and above) within the first year of appointment.
Applications must include:
– Letter of motivation (2 pages max.)
– Description of a research agenda for editorial work in non-literary texts, including a timeline
for 12 months and for a further 24 months (3 pages max.)
– a sample edition (either published or unpublished, min. 3 pages, max. 30 pages)
– list of publications
– three letters of recommendation
Please send your application including all relevant documents via e-mail to office-Byzanz@oeaw.ac.at (mentioning Job ID: IMAFO015PD120) no later than April 30, 2020.
We will use the data you provide for the purposes of your application in compliance with the regulations of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (for more information, see here:
https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/oeaw/data-protection/job-applications/). Inquiries may be addressed to Prof. Dr. Claudia Rapp (email@example.com).
We offer an annual gross salary of € 21.914,20 (part time based, before taxes) according to the collective agreement of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW). The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. The OeAW lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.