Jobs & Funding
Opportunities currently available within the field of Byzantine studies, in the UK and around the world.
Lecturer in History of Byzantium
University of Birmingham - School of History and Cultures
Applications close 18 December 2016
Grade 8 - Starting salary is normally in the range £39,324 to £46,924. With potential progression once in post to £52,793 a year.
We are looking for a historian to extend our expertise in the history of the Byzantine world. The thematic and chronological expertise of the appointment is completely open, though we would particularly welcome applications from candidates working in the areas of material culture and/or gender (very broadly defined). Ideally, candidates’ work should complement our strengths in two or more of the key research areas for the School: imperialism, transnationalism and diasporas; war, conflict and cooperation; history of religions, beliefs and ideas; everyday life and popular culture; environment; political cultures, material culture.
The post holder would be required to have the following knowledge, skills, experience:
- Normally, a higher degree relevant to the research/teaching area (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications
- Extensive research/teaching experience and scholarship within subject specialism
- Proven ability to devise, advise on and manage learning/ research
- Skills in managing, motivating and mentoring others successfully at all levels
- Excellent publications record demonstrated by a sustained series of existing and forthcoming publications at a high scholarly level (including clear promise of a strong submission for any future research audit).
- Experience and achievement reflected in a growing reputation
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in planning, undertaking and project managing research to deliver high quality results
- Extensive experience of applying and/or developing and devising successful models, techniques and methods
- Experience and achievement in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity
- Ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching, and advising colleagues
- Experience and success in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability
- Ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
Expected start date is September 2017.
For further details and application form, see here.